At the risk of making this worse... Bill makes good points, and I wasn't saying "don't use an IDE".  I meant "I don't like using an IDE, so I don't want to be forced to, and that affects my language/tool preferences.  You might want to consider whether you like using a particular IDE or not, in addition to other considerations."

Where I work we try hard to keep IDE-specific files and choices out of the vcs,  aside from maybe adding some patterns to the .ignore file to reinforce this.  We value letting all the different developers use whatever tools they prefer, and we do often use different ones (emacs, vim, eclipse, coda, etc.) to work on the same project and the same code at the same time without stomping on each other's toes, which is a Good Thing.

I love you all.  Really.

  -Dan