Hi Kevin,

Although I can't recommend any hosting based on personal experience, a while back I had bookmarked a recommended (by another code4libber) hosting site: Slicehost at http://www.slicehost.com/

I think they pretty much get out of the way and let you do what you want, development wise.  Regarding Rails in particular, one of their testimonials said "The only thing I can say is Wow! ... Rails up and running in 30 minutes."  Another said "...I’m a Rails developer and a Linux enthusiast who can’t believe he found a Gentoo VPS with 256MB RAM for $20/month."  And yet another "...I’m a freelance Rails developer, and my experience on an Ubuntu VPS has been fantastic compared to my previous shared hosting experience." [1]

Again, this is *not* a recommendation from personal experience.

-- Michael

[1] http://www.slicehost.com/why-slicehost/testimonials

# Michael Doran, Systems Librarian
# University of Texas at Arlington