I just wanted to chime in from downtown Toronto -- I certainly welcome meeting outside of my fair city, and prefer locales that can be reached via train (Ottawa, Montreal, Kingston, Sudbury). Porter airlines is also good, but sadly, they don't fly to Sudbury.

Kim

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of MJ Suhonos
Sent: January 20, 2010 10:17 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Location of the first Code4Lib North meeting?

I think mode of transportation is something to consider; for those of us in South/Eastern Ontario, most of the cities are relatively reachable within a few hours by ground (excepting Sudbury, unfortunately).

However, for those out-of-province coming via air transport, Kingston is at least 2h from the closest major airport (Ottawa).  [NB: don't get me wrong; as a Queen's graduate, I love Kingston very much].

So, in the name of practicality, one of the larger cities -- Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal -- probably makes the most sense.  It may be a bit less interesting for some, but at the same time, we could always pick one of the smaller cities for our second meet-up.

Just my $0.02CAD.

MJ

PS.  for air travel, Porter airlines is an excellent regional carrier, servicing Boston, Chicago, Montreal, Newark, Ottawa, Thunder Bay, and Toronto (among others).