BaseX is actively developed (6.0 came out about two weeks ago), but I understand your concern.  It seems like they are moving towards building more of a community around it (mailing lists and such), but yes, the core is pretty much the university team.

eXist has more plug-ins and specialty features than BaseX. BaseX has XQuery full text search and much much faster querying speed.

As far as putting your eggs in a basket, I'm pretty sure that if you're looking to base your project around XML databases, you're already putting your eggs in a basket of some form...

-Sean