If you are looking for abstract reasons to determine which programming tool
to use for a library project, it's worth considering long term support for
your institution. If the future technical support at your institution is 1
librarian-turned-coder (and you don't have strong personal preferences), you
might want to think about which languages/tools/frameworks are commonly
available amongst this pool (I think you'll find PHP/Ruby much more often
than Java, for example). That way your institution isn't up-a-creek when you
leave and they hire your replacement.

-emily lynema
NCSU Libraries