I have used Sonic.net for the past 10 years because it is run by geeks.  Haven't done any Rails on it, but you can build pretty much anything you want on standard tools & languages (Perl, PHP, Python, C, Ruby, etc.).   For tech support, they have their own newsgroup hierarchy where questions get answered by authoritative sources, like their senior network & server admins or the company founder.  Also, they recently added two new ways to get their MOTD:  twitter and .... this cracks me up ... gopher ;)

> Hi,
>
> I was curious if anyone could recommend a hosting service that they've
> had a good ruby on rails experience with. I've been working with
> bluehost but my experience has not been good. You need to work through
> a lot of hoops just to get a moderately complicated rails application
> properly. The applications we are looking at deploying would be
> moderately active, 1,000 -2000 visits a day. Thanks for any comments in
> advance.
>
> Regards,
>
> Kevin Reiss

Genny Engel