I think TRAC definitely fits this description.  It is pretty
customizable, so you can adjust categories to your liking.  (This
requires a command-line tool.)  I would advise having a separate TRAC
for each big project, so that features like the timeline and roadmap
don't become meaningless.

I've also seen JIRA used to good effect.  It is commercial software, but
has an open API and is free for open source projects.

Greg

___
Greg Jansen
Digital Repository Developer