Have you seen the Exhibit library (part of the Simile project at MIT)?
It provides faceted browsing along with map integration:
http://www.simile-widgets.org/exhibit/

It should be fairly easy to add to an existing project as it can consume
a pretty simple JSON format that your app could provide.

Since you're familiar with CakePHP, it would be very easy to turn
parseExtensions on in your routes.php file and provide specific views
for ".json" requests (they'd be stored in views/audio/json/index.ctp for
instance).

The Exhibit JSON format is based on some RDF concepts I believe, so if
you're into that at all, it will be doubly enjoyable. :)

Hope that helps,
Benjamin