On 2/8/10 3:09 PM, Ryan Eby wrote:
> I'm interested in knowing what everyone is using for print management
> and cost recovery for public printing. We're currently using Pharos
> but I'd like to see what else is out there. I don't really have any
> requirements other than preferably available separate from any
> computer management system. Mostly just interested in what is out
> there and personal opinions of the product.
>
> I'd be especially interested in any OSS options. I've come across a
> few CUPS/lpr based systems (http://print.ncsu.edu/ and
> http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1027802.1027849) but there doesn't appear
> to be any code release associated with them.

Got the following response:

<verbatim>
Francis,

The person you're referring to is most likely Adam Lewenburg.  He has
since moved on, and I am now the service manager for LibPrint.

We had looked into open sourcing the code, as well as several other
methods of distributing the system to non-UIUC organizations.
Unfortunately, the bureaucratic overhead involved turned out to be more
massive than we could have imagined, and it turns out that we don't have
the staff or resources to make it possible.

Sorry for the bad news.  If there's anything else I can help you with,
please let me know.
jason.
</verbatim>

GAH!