Oops, I forgot this one:

> emulators are cool, but won't reveal memory/processor limitations

I don't believe that this is correct.  In fact, although I generally don't delve that deeply into the SDKs since I am not developing native apps, my understanding is that that is one of the purposes of using an SDK-based emulator.  When I tested on early Palm emulators I routinely exceeded the device's memory limitations, just based on HTML page size when displaying search results.  I used browser/platform detection in order to adjust the results-per-page (and pagination) to account for that.

-- Michael