The set of talks yesterday morning exemplified the ways that the Code4Lib community has assumed the leadership role in the development of library technology that perhaps DLF was intended to do and didn't. As an example, yesterday morning. Emily, Bess and Naomi each gave talks discussing aspects of the professionalizing of the development process in libraries. Next week, there will be 200 library developers at home thinking about how to improve their development process. The week after that, it will be 400. Next year, if you come back, and you're not thinking about agile process, deployment automation, continuous integration ad test-driven development, you'll get eaten by werewolves. That's what I call leadership.

Will try to blog it.

On Feb 25, 2010, at 1:05 AM, Eric Celeste wrote:

> Even though I've been around for a few years and even remember some very
> early discussions that eventually boiled into the founding of Code4Lib, I've
> mostly been a lurker in this community. I am in the middle of my first
> Code4Lib conference and writing a piece for some folks at CLIR who are
> trying to determine what role DLF should have as a program of CLIR. They
> were curious about Code4Lib and lucky me, I offered to come visit and report
> back.
>
> I welcome your feedback on the report I am drafting. I'd like it to be a
> fair assessment of the conference.
>
> http://eric.clst.org/C4L/FirstLook
>
> Thanks for a wonderful meeting, I'm looking forward to tomorrow (today!),
>
> ...Eric
>
> Eric Celeste / [log in to unmask] / http://eric.clst.org / 651-323-2009

Eric Hellman
President, Gluejar, Inc.