> > Just as important as the actual language may be the programming
> techniques
> > you will have to learn. Now-a-day knowing how to read and write XML is
> almost
> > imperative. Knowing how to do I/O against a database is all but
> necessary.
> > Understanding how to send URL's to remote resources and parsing the
> results
> > is common place. Learning how to output your content as an HTTP response
> is
> > all too common. All of the languages incorporate extensions for doing
> such
> > things.
>
> As a relative newbie myself, any advice on how/where to pick up these
> particular things? (Especially everything after the XML.)

Just so I can use some of my favorite technical jargon, you need to find a
"reference implementation." That's a fancy way of saying, find the simplest
example you can. Then just copy and tweak the code until you grok
it. There's an infinite amount to learn, so just take on things one at a
time.

Eric's advice that you need to figure out which community is the best match
for the problems you want to solve is spot on. Once you do that, everything
will naturally fall into place. The right community will help you figure out
how to wrap your mind around what you're trying to solve, what you need to
pursue, and give advice on specific challenges you face.

kyle