To offer a counterpoint to no PHP folks, One reason I like PHP is because
right now its pretty much essential to know if you are using open source web
applications like MediaWiki, Wordpress or Drupal. I feel like Javascript is
also a must for web work. Personally, I'm also a fan of XSLT to do
transformation if I have XML to work with.

As others have pointed out though, programming is web-centric. So IMHO it
really depends on what your needs are and where you want to go. Others can
offer better advice about non-web work. I keep toying with Ruby on Rails and
getting about 1/3 of the way into the book I have before getting completely
sidetracked by another project.

Karen