I remember watching a show once where they tested various tapes for
suitability of duct patching. Duct tape actually came in quite low on the
list.

"To provide lab data about which sealants and tapes last, and which are
likely to fail, research was conducted at Lawrence Berkeley National
Laboratory Environmental Energy Technologies Division. Their major
conclusion was that one should not use duct tape to seal ducts (specialty
tapes are available for this purpose). (They defined duct tape as any
fabric-based tape with rubber adhesive.) The testing done shows that under
challenging but realistic conditions, duct tapes become brittle and may
fail.[6] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_tape#cite_note-5>Commonly duct
tape carries no safety certifications such as
UL<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underwriters_Laboratories>
 or Proposition
65<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_65_(1986)>,
which means the tape can violently burn, produce toxic smoke, ingestion and
contact toxicity, irregular mechanical strength, and low life expectancy for
the adhesive on the tape. Its use in ducts has been prohibited by the state
of California <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California>[7]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_tape#cite_note-6>
and
by building codes in most other places in the
U.S.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States> However,
metalized and aluminum <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminum> tapes used by
professionals are still often called "duck/duct tapes"."

- Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_tape#Usage_on_ductwork

So ... there you go.  However, according to the Mythbusters, it is good for
building sail boats and cannons.

-Sean