If one's interests were digital library data curation and migration, the
most useful things to know would be XSLT, bash scripting, Perl, and
knowledge of regular expressions.  I've done a lot of migration with bash
scripting, regular expressions, and XSLT alone, without the need for Perl,
but Perl or SAX would be useful in migrating non-XML or invalid XML/SGML.  I
used simple, iterative scripts to migrate thousands of TEI files from TEI
Lite to a more consistent schema.  I've done similar things to go from a 500
page HTML thumbnail gallery of manuscripts into an EAD guide.   Roy is right
in stating there is more to programming than web pages.  A lot of dirty work
behind the scenes in libraries is done without the sexiness of PHP or Ruby
on Rails applications.

Ethan