On the one hand, I'm all for following specs. But on the other...should we
really be too concerned about dealing with the full flexibility of the 2709
spec, vs. what's actually used? I mean, I hope to god no one is actually
creating new formats based on 2709!

If there are real-life examples in the wild of, say, multi-character
indicators, or subfield codes of more than one character, that's one thing.

BTW, in the stuff I proposed, you know a controlfield vs. a datafield
because of the length of the array (2 vs 5); it's well-specified, but by the
size of the tuple, not by label.

--
Bill Dueber
Library Systems Programmer