From: "Eric Lease Morgan" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, March 4, 2010 4:38:53 PM
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Code4Lib Midwest?

On Mar 4, 2010, at 3:29 PM, Jonathan Brinley wrote:

>>  2. share demonstrations
>
> I'd like to see this be something like a blend between lightning talks
> and the ask anything session at the last conference....

This certainly works for me, and the length of time of each "talk" would/could be directly proportional to the number of people who attend.

>>  4. give a presentation to library staff
>
> What sort of presentation did you have in mind, Eric?
>
> This also raises the issue of weekday vs. weekend. I'm game for
> either. Anyone else have a preference?

What I was thinking here was a possible presentation to library faculty/staff and/or computing faculty/staff from across campus. The presentation could be one or two cool hacks or solutions that solved wider, less geeky problems. Instead of "tweaking Solr's term-weighting algorithms to index OAI-harvested content" it would be "making journal articles easier to find". This would be an opportunity to show off the good work done by institutions outside Notre Dame. A prophet in their own land is not as convincing as the expert from afar.

I was thinking it would happen on a weekday. There would be more stuff going on here on campus, as well as give everybody a break from their normal work week. More specifically, I would suggest such an event take place on a Friday so the poeple who stayed over night would not have to take so many days off of work.

>>  5. have a hack session
>
> It would be good to have 2 or 3 projects we can/should work on decided
> ahead of time (in case no one has any good ideas at the time), and
> perhaps a couple more inspired by the earlier presentations.

True.

--
ELM
University of Notre Dame