I admit I'm not seeing the problem with your scenario, I like the
"contains" solution.

The "contains" relationship hangs off of whatever entities you choose to
hang it off of, no?

If neither you nor anyone else has chosen to do the authority work to
collocate, say, different "versions" of "Moby Dick with preface,
appendixes, Hart Crane poem" as expressions or works (quite likely that
nobody will), then the containing entity is simply a manifestation.

I am not entirely sure what you mean by "a unit card view", or what kind
of "non unit card view" you'd want to provide, but it seems to me this
data structure encodes the data that matters in a machine readable way,
and should be able to support many diverse kinds of interface.

A point we often come to in these conversations, my own denseness is
leaving me confused about the nature of hte problem you are identifying
-- I'm not seeing a problem.

Jonathan