On 3/24/2010 7:43 PM, David Kane wrote:
> A friend of mine once described PHP as 'brain-dead PERL', but I like and use
> both languages quite a bit.
>
> David.
>
> On 24 March 2010 23:17, Tim Spalding<[log in to unmask]>  wrote:
>
>>> PHP. I have to agree with others - don't bother with PHP.
>>
>> Largest website in Perl: Del.icio.us
>>
>> Largest website in PHP: Facebook
>>
>> Tim

  Ok, I know there are people that use PHP out there.  :)

   I'd recommend PHP, especially to a beginner, but only if they are
going to learn the whole LAMP system and how to make it work. Oh, and
learn the changes between versions, like between 5.1 and 5.2. And read
every comment on their manual pages.
  And never install a widely distributed PHP program unless you rename
it(scanners know all the famous ones).  We use the PHP CLI as a
replacement for perl and for processing XML and a thousand other things
without even going through Apache.
   But above all, if you do learn it and use it for years, don't tell
the programmers in an email list that you did.

-Paul