On 3/25/2010 10:24, Brian Stamper wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 17:51:38 -0400, Mark Tomko <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't recommend PHP to learn as a programming language, if your
>> goal is to have a general purpose programming language at your
>> disposal. PHP is a fine language for building dynamic web pages, but
>> it won't help you to slice and dice a big text file or process a bunch
>> of XML or do some other "odd job" that you don't want to do by hand.
>>

> To be precise, PHP can indeed do these kind of things, particularly in
> command line mode. I certainly don't recommend it, but if you're used to
> PHP for other reasons, and you already have it available to you, you can
> do 'odd jobs' with PHP. You can also use your teeth to open a tight
> bottle cap, the edge of a knife as a screwdriver, and duct tape to
> perform auto repairs.

++

Especially if you're doing or thinking of doing things in the general
web arena, PHP is widely used, well-supported by a variety of
open-source libraries/frameworks/other projects, and webhosts.  It can
probably do X, though something else might do it better.  That's why I
adopted PHP: overall success.

See also http://i.imgur.com/pG3q7.jpg

--
Yitzchak Schaffer
Systems Manager

Access Problems? Contact [log in to unmask]