On 3/24/2010 4:47 PM, Kyle Banerjee wrote:

> Just so I can use some of my favorite technical jargon, you need to find a
> "reference implementation." That's a fancy way of saying, find the simplest
> example you can. Then just copy and tweak the code until you grok
> it. There's an infinite amount to learn, so just take on things one at a
> time.

This is some of the best advice.  Reading and adapting good code has
been my favorite way to learn.  There was a discussion a couple years
back on a code4lib code repository of some kind[1].  I'd love to
resurrect this idea.  A private pastebin[2] might be a decent option.  I
also know that a number of us use GitHub[3], which allows for collecting
syntax highlighted code snippets and has some nifty social networking
features that let you follow other coders and projects.  GitHub is
certainly not a solution for a code4lib repository but is another way to
share code and learn from each other.

I'm happy to help in any way to push this forward.

Aaron

[1]
https://listserv.nd.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0803&L=CODE4LIB&D=0&X=09B7A8434FAC4C7567&P=163887

[2] http://pastebin.com/help