What is normally labeled duct tape is usually a single layer of cheese cloth
with some type of vinyl or plastic on one side and adhesive on the other
basically.  Duct tape that will pass state inspection, at least where I live,
is normally sold as a thin piece of aluminum with adhesive and a slick paper
covering the adhesive to be pulled off when used.

Thomas

I was in construction for 15 years before I went back to school.

On Thursday 25 March 2010 12:11:35 you wrote:
> > Also...it's pretty good for plugging leaks in ducts.
>
> Actually, true story:
>
> I was in the hardware store, poking around the tape section, with a roll of
>  your typical silver duct tape in my hand, obviously browsing.  An employee
>  came up to me asking what I was looking for, and for what purpose.
>
> I told him I was actually going to be taping metal ducts, to which he
>  pointed at the duct tape in my hand and replied "oh, then that's not what
>  you want, this is what you want", and handed me some strange plastic stuff
>  I'd never seen before.
>
> So, apparently duct tape isn't even good for taping ducts anymore.
>
> MJ
>
> >> At the risk of taking an off-topic conversation even further into
> >> Peanut Heaven, automotive hose repair is actually one of the things
> >> duct tape is least well-suited to. The adhesive doesn't bond when wet,
> >> it's not strong enough to hold much pressure or vacuum (especially
> >> moderate continuous pressure), and it fails very quickly at even
> >> moderately high temperatures. And it tends to leave goo all over
> >> everything, thus adding headaches to the proper repair you'll still
> >> need later.
> >>
> >> Duct tape is OK for keeping a wire bundle out of your fan or
> >> something, but if you try to fix a leak in your radiator hose with it,
> >> you'll still be stranded and also have gooey duct tape adhesive all
> >> over the place.
> >>
> >> Extending these points to the ongoing language debate is an exercise
> >> that will benefit no one ;-)
> >>
> >> Cheers (and just get that hose replaced ;-)
> >> -Nate

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Operations & Systems Analyst            P O Box 32026
University Library                                Boone, North Carolina 28608
(828) 262 6587

Library Systems Help Desk: https://www.library.appstate.edu/help/