Programming languages as with many other things, are arbitrary.  They aren't carved into stone tablets -- they're all made up.  Some are better suited for certain problems than others.  If you don't like any out there, go invent your own.  To argue that one language is better than another is silly when at the end of the day, none of this stuff is real.

Programming languages can turn into mind prisons.  When you pick up a hammer evey problem starts looking like a nail.  Same with the MARC record format.  That has become one huge mind prison that the library community will probably never quite get itself out of.

Peter Schlumpf
www.avantilibrarysystems.com