Karen,

This doesn't relate to the API specifically, but I'm very interested in
the statement, "Open Library now has Works defined."

We've just recently encountered issues loading OCA records for journals
we've scanned back into our local ILS, because we have to add an 856 for
each journal volume that was scanned to the parent bibliographic record
(in the most recent case, we had something like 160 856 fields in the
record, which our ILS objected to). As in institution, we're not
particularly interested in creating locally hosted splash pages for this
digitized content.

What seems like would make more sense for us is to link to a Work record
in Open Library or Internet Archive which can then direct users to all
volumes digitized for that Work. I searched this title in Open Library
and found individual results for the various years of the journal, so it
didn't seem like that kind of aggregated record was being exposed to
users at this point.

See here for an example:
http://openlibrary.org/search?q=polytechnisches+Journal

Do you think a Work record page in Open Library that we could link to
from our local systems would be an effective solution to this problem?
Anybody have other ideas?

-emiliy

--
Emily Lynema