> What the RDA folks (that is, the folks
> who have created RDA, the JSC members) said (some of them off-list to
> me), is that if your manifestation is an aggregate, then your
> Expression must be an equal aggregate. So the Expression is pretty
> much one-to-one with the Manifestation. (And I think we were all
> seeing a many-to-many.)

I see this conclusion as RDA's, but not FRBR's. The FRBR report explicitly
says there can be a many-to-one relationship between Expressions and a
Manifestation (that is, a Manifestation can embody several Expressions), and
the V/FRBR project takes that at face value and does not impose the
additional restriction that a Manifestation contains an equal aggregate. RDA
may impose that restriction, but that's their implementation of FRBR, and
the V/FRBR project as *not* an RDA implementation doesn't feel bound by that
decision.

Obviously I think that RDA has made a mistake in adding in a requirement
that "if your manifestation is an aggregate, then your Expression must be an
equal aggregate." But that's their business, I guess.

Jenn

Jenn Riley
Metadata Librarian
Digital Library Program