I've never been to Vancouver, so I don't know what the housing options are.  But I wonder if there isn't some way to keep the nightly rate down.  Maybe this could be addressed by having an official hostel/cheaper hotel?  Perhaps UBC or some other institution has an inexpensive housing option (I've seen this at other universities).

-Esme
--
Esme Cowles <[log in to unmask]>

"A person, who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.
 (This is very important. Pay attention. It never fails.) " -- Dave Barry