From: Code for Libraries [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Aaron Rubinstein [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2010 10:21 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] newbie

On 3/25/2010 12:47 PM, Ross Singer wrote:

> I disagreed with this back in the day, and I still disagree with
> running our own code repository.  There are too many good code hosting
> solutions out there for this to be justifiable.  We used to run an SVN
> repo at code4lib.org, but we never bothered rebuilding it after our
> server got hacked.
>
> Actually I think GitHub/Google Code and their ilk are a much better
> solution -- especially for pastebins/gists/etc.  What would be useful,
> though, is an aggregation of the Code4lib's community spread across
> these sites, sort of what like the Planet does for blog postings, etc.
> or what Google Buzz does for the people I follow (i.e. I see their
> gists).
>
> I'd buy in to that (and help support it), but I'm not sure how one
> would go about it.
>
> -Ross.

I think the old discussion was looking more for a way to host code
snippets as opposed to version controlled projects, which I agree that
GitHub and the like already do nicely.  Would we really need more than a
code4lib.pastebin.com?  That being said, a code planet would be really
cool.  I know that GitHub and BitBucket publish ATOM feeds of a user's
activity but I'm not so sure about other code hosting sites.

Anyways, just a thought...

Aaron