Simon you can purchase the dongles at the Mac store (did it for
another conference the week after code4lib).

Also thank you all for the duck tape info.  This explains why the duck
tape i used to attach the dryer vent ducts didn't work.  i shall now
go by the proper tape.

and now this conversation has completely devolved.