Picking a language for its toolchain is also not a bad plan.  Having a good IDE (integrated development environment) makes development so much easier.

Also, pick a language that has a good unit testing framework and learn it.  Unit tests won't help you catch every type of problem, but they're a great way to find (and stop) potential bugs early.  They also help you document your assumptions and assertions, plus they give you an easy "playground" to try things out before you put a large system together.  Lastly, they teach you to code with testability in mind.  I find that code that's easy to tests tends to be well-modularized for other purposes as well.

Mark
ps, I'm with Simon on the parens.