I was going to start this post with "I couldn't disagree more", but on
sober reflection I am going to go with the more conciliatory "Let me
offer an alternative perspective".

For someone who is just starting out in programming, I think the very
last thing you want is a verbose language that makes you spend half
your time talking about types that you don't really care about.  I'm
not saying there isn't a time and a place for static type-checking,
but while learning to program isn't it.

As a first language, you want something that let's you Get Stuff Done
with a minimum of fuss -- a language that lets you go directly to
saying what you want to say without having to begin with "public class
HelloWorld { public static void main(String[] args) {" before you can
even call System.out.println (which is, in any case, a very verbose
way of saying "print").

As a heuristic, I think you might say that a good first programming
language is one in which a program to print "Hello, world!" is most
naturally expressed in a single line, or more precisely a single
statement.  On that basis, the strong candidates include Perl, Python,
arguably PHP and my own favourite, Ruby.

Java, C++ and the like might be important further down the line, but
they are a horrible way to start: they're like learning to drive in a
Harrier jump jet when what you really need is a bicycle.