Hi Jason,

> I have mostly worked in the iPhone Simulator, but in this case you will
> miss out on testing some of the device's resource limitations.

This does seem to be the more the case for the iPhone Simulator.  And I think you are correct to point out that the difference between a simulator (as comes with the iPhone SDK) and am emulator (as come with the Android or Palm SDKs) is more that must a matter of semantics.  The Stack Overflow forum has some interesting things to say on this topic [1].

> If it supported multi-touch and rotation, it would probably be a great
> testing environment. For now, I'll just keep an iPod Touch on my desk.

If by rotation, you mean switching between portrait and landscape orientations, then the iPhone Simulator *does* support that.  I also believe you can do some multi-touch on the Simulator via the "option" key + mouse controls [2].

Having an actual iPhone or iPod Touch is definitely the best testing environment though for that platform!

-- Michael

[1] Stack Overflow > iPhone device vs. iPhone simulator
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/380062/iphone-device-vs-iphone-simulator

[2] See a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGu52JNUSpQ

# Michael Doran, Systems Librarian
# University of Texas at Arlington