I'll answer Bill's message tomorrow after I have had some sleep :)

Actually, I contend that the MARC-XML collection element does appear in MARC (ISO 2709), but it is at the physical layer and not at the structural layer.  Remember MARC records were placed on a tape reel, thus the tape reel was the collection (container).  Placed on disk in a file, the file is the collection (container).  I agree that it's not spelled out in the standard, but the concept of a collection (container) is implicit when you have more than one record of anything.

Basic set theory: a set is a container for its members :)

The obvious reason why it exists in XML is that the XML infoset requires a single document element (container).  This is why the MARC-XML schema allows either a collection or record element to be specified as the document element.  It is unfortunate that the XML infoset requires a single document element, otherwise you would be back to the file on disk being the implicit collection (container) as it is in ISO 2709.

Andy.