> Sorry, I had to miss the conf. call. Any news?

Here's some Code4Lib "Midwest" news.

Just less than a dozen of us chatted on the phone about about Code4Lib "Midwest" and most people seemed to think having a meeting here at the University of Notre Dame (Notre Dame, Indiana) was doable. The "midwest" is so large it is difficult to find a convenient location for everybody. While we were not able to decide exactly, we are thinking the event may start the afternoon of Thursday, May 20 and end Saturday, May 21 around noon. Activities may include Lightning Talks, a social event, a presentation to interested library and university employees, a Code4Lib Hackfest Challenge where University Libraries employees articulate a problem to be solved and code4libbers hack a solution during the meeting, and some "classes" on specific topics (such as WorldCat API's, linked data, or text mining). We might even have presentations to ourselves, and some of the suggested topics included OLE, XC, and ILS/DI.

Financially, there would be no fees for this Meeting except for a person's meal and travel expenses. There are plenty of inexpensive places to stay overnight.

Next steps? I will make an effort to outline a few possible programs lasting between 1 and 2 1/2 days, post them to the wiki, and call for a vote to see which one is the most feasible. We will go from there.

--
Eric "Again, What Have I Gotten Myself Into!?" Morgan
University of Notre Dame