Yes there are real-life examples, e.g., MarcXchange, now ISO 25577, being the one that comes to mind.  Where IFLA was *compelled* to create a new MARC-XML specification, in a different namespace, and the main difference between the two specification was being able to specify up to nine indicator values.  Given that they are optional in the MarcXchange XML schema, personally I feel that, IFLA and LC could have just extended the MARC-XML schema and added the optional attributes making all existing MARC-XML documents MarcXchange documents and the library community wouldn't have to deal with two XML specifications.  This is another example of the library community creating more barriers for people entering their market.

> BTW, in the stuff I proposed, you know a controlfield vs. a datafield
> because of the length of the array (2 vs 5); it's well-specified, but
> by the size of the tuple, not by label.

Ahh... I overlooked that aspect of your proposal.

Andy.