Quoting Andrew Hankinson <[log in to unmask]>:

> This may be one area where FRBR is not exactly clear on the
> directions its relationships take, or how extensive the cataloguing
> should be.

One?! I'd say "one of..."

> An album with Beethoven's 7, 8 & 9th Symphonies performed by the
> London Philharmonic would be a manifestation containing three
> independent expressions of these works, but the album wouldn't be a
> work by itself. You can have dependent forward relationships, i.e.
> "Work is an Expression contained in a Manifestation" but, as far as
> I know, there's no way to specify that a manifestation containing
> independent works as a separate work unto itself, and still stay
> within the FRBR model. (please, correct me if I'm wrong...)

As I said, the discussion on the RDA-L list came to a different
conclusion, with folks involved directly in RDA and FRBR coming down
(one rather harshly to me offline) that a compilation is an expression
in itself. We didn't get so far as a compilation expression being one
to one with a work, but I would like to move this discussion to that
list, since the RDA experts are probably not following this list. I
guess what I'll do is post the link to Jenn's site on RDA-L, since I
haven't seen her mail there.

kc

--
Karen Coyle