Quoting Jonathan Rochkind <[log in to unmask]>:

> So there's no way to "call an aggregate a Work/Expression" _instead of_
> a manifestation, if that aggregate is an actual physical item in your
> hand.

No, no one said "instead of". What the RDA folks (that is, the folks
who have created RDA, the JSC members) said (some of them off-list to
me), is that if your manifestation is an aggregate, then your
Expression must be an equal aggregate. So the Expression is pretty
much one-to-one with the Manifestation. (And I think we were all
seeing a many-to-many.)

This is what I was told (off-list):

"the additional
bibliographies or other intellectual or artistic content are viewed
as parts of a new expression - not just new pieces for the
manifestation ... - it's useful to declare expression level changes to
facilitate collocation and make distinctions, but sometimes such
distinctions aren't necessary and we can collocate at the work
level.  Please don't start people getting confused with throwing in
expression level elements at the manifestation level."

So those were my marching orders! (And I don't see how anyone could be
more confused than I am.) But a reprint of Moby Dick with a new
preface or bibliography becomes a new expression. In crude MARC terms,
every time the 245 $c changes, you've got a new expression, unless you
determine that it's something really insignificant. And I would guess
that you can link the Expression to one or more Works, as you wish,
except that the FRBR diagram shows that expressions can only relate to
one Work. (See, no one could be more confused than I am!)

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net