Oh, I wasn't actually suggesting limiting to UTF-8 was the right way to
go, I was asking your opinion!  It's not at all clear to me, but if your
opinion is that UTF-8 is indeed the right way to go, that's comforting. :)

Bandwidth _does_ matter I think, it's primarily intended as a
transmission format, and the reasons _I_ am interested in it as a
transmission format over MarcXML is in large part precisely because it
will be so much smaller a package, I'm running into various performance
problems caused by the very large package size of MarcXML. (Disk space
might be cheap, but bandwidth, over the network, or to the file system,
is not neccesarily, for me anyway.)

But I'm not sure I'm concerned about UTF-8 bloating size of response, I
think it will still be manageable and worth it to avoid confusion. I
pretty much do _everything_ in UTF-8 myself these days, because it's
just not worth the headache to me to do anything else. But I have MUCH
less experience dealing with international character sets than you,
which is why I was curious as to your opinion.  There's no reason the
marc-hash-in-json proto-spec couldn't allow any valid JSON character
encoding, if you/we/someone thinks it's neccesary/more-convenient.

Jonathan