Ha, that's really funny.  I had no idea stuff like that was happening.  Although, there was new website launched this month, and no one tried to maintain any links from the old site, so most of those are broken.  I wasn't involved with that.

Our library is physically and technically separate from the main Rockhall's website which is really the public interface to the museum.  While we will have some content about the library and its collections in the Rockhall.com website, most of the metadata about the our collections will come from the libary catalog and other systems.  We intend the library to be an academic, education and research-oriented library that extends the museum's mission.  However, this example that you're showing highlights one of the key differences between the main site's more commercial targeted audience and our interface which will be targeting the more academically inclined user as well as the "wikipedians," not that they aren't synonymous!

Ideally, when the library catalog is full swing, those wikipedia links could point to information via persistent identifiers in our databases, such as archival finding aids, books and journals via WorldCat, and digital content.  Although, we have yet to determine what, if any, of our digital content would be available on the public internet.  Hopefully some of it, but certainly not all.

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries on behalf of Lars Aronsson
Sent: Mon 3/29/2010 3:45 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] need a plan for what to code

Great fun! I have no ideas about which system to use.
But I suggest you begin from the other end: Who will
find your website useful, why and how? There is
already a website for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame,
so what exactly will the digital collections of the
library and archive add to that?

Wikipedia has 720 links to www.rockhall.com,
which is a dream for any website,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:LinkSearch/www.rockhall.com

Rock & Roll: (noun) African American slang dating back to the early 20th Century. In the early 1950s, the term came to be used to describe a new form of music, steeped in the blues, rhythm & blues, country and gospel. Today, it refers to a wide variety of popular music -- frequently music with an edge and attitude, music with a good beat and --- often --- loud guitars.© 2005 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum.

This communication is a confidential and proprietary business communication. It is intended solely for the use of the designated recipient(s). If this communication is received in error, please contact the sender and delete this communication.