This sounds like an interesting idea. Within the environmental sciences, an
extensive list that is community maintained is available here:

    http://marinemetadata.org/conventions

The list includes several hundred metadata standards, community
vocabularies, ontologies, and related specifications, and it changes
dynamically as new specifications and resources become available.  The site
also maintains a list of software tools (like metadata editors) and other
useful references.

Maybe you could build off of existing community resources such as this to
build a meta-index that covers a broader set of disciplines. Combining
forces with groups like MMI could be a fast way to build up the list of
resources that you propose.

Matt