The Center for Digital Research and Scholarship (CDRS) at Columbia University seeks a Web Developer to design, create, expand, and maintain Web applications, databases, and site functionality for CDRS' online projects.
CDRS serves the digital research and scholarly communication needs of Columbia’s faculty, graduate students, and scholars through the innovative adaptation and implementation of online tools and services. This Web Developer will work on multiple short-term and long-term projects to satisfy the requests of Columbia’s research community.
- creating, customizing, updating and upgrading WordPress, WordPress MU, MediaWiki and Drupal installs
- customizing Open Journal Systems and Open Conference Systems installs
- developing and maintaining sites which make extensive use of Lucene/Solr
- creating middleware or content management functionality for sites
- constructing clean database designs using MySQL, SQL query, PostgreSQL or another agreed-upon database language
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- 2-3 years professional experience in PHP/MySQL coding
- 1-2 years experience with multiple versions of blog and wiki applications
- 1-2 years experience with basic database construction
- Ability to code in table-less CSS structure with an eye to cross-browser/platform issues and backward
- Ability to quickly learn new applications and terminology
- Experience with JQuery and YUI strongly preferred
- Experience working with Lucene/Solr and JSON preferred
- Familiarity with Open Journal Systems/Open Conference Systems preferred but not necessary
- Familiarity with other open-source social software a plus
- Perl and/or Python/Django knowledge a plus
Columbia University is open source-friendly!
Set in the Morningside Heights academic village, Columbia also presents
the unmatched dynamism, diversity and cultural richness of New York
City. The University Libraries, grounded in collections of remarkable
depth and breadth, are also building extensive electronic resources and
services. The Libraries at Columbia are committed to collegiality,
professionalism, innovation and leadership.
We offer a salary commensurate with qualifications and experience and excellent benefits.
For immediate consideration please apply online at: