On Wed, 28 Apr 2010, Ryan Ordway wrote:

> I need to move the server that hosts the code4lib.org website into another rack to make room for some other equipment, when is a good time to do this?

You power down machines when moving them?

Oh, sure, do it the easy way.

(After waiting 2 months for the university I was working for to approve a
maintenance window, as we had a machine lift and the machine had two power
taps, I ran an extension cord and a long ethernet cable, swapped them in,
pulled the machine as far out of the rack as it'd extend on its rails,
brought the lift up from under it, ejected it from the rails, rolled it
out the way, moved the rails to the new rack, rolled the lift over to the
new place, cranked the lift to the new height, re-ingaged the rails, and
then swapped back to the new rack's power and patch panel.  Only ~ 2 min
of downtime, and that was because the switch took 60 sec to test to make
sure there wasn't a loop when you changed connections.)

-Joe