Thanks Alex,

This makes sense, and yes I see what your saying - and yes, if you end up
going back to custom coding because it's easier it does seem to defeat the
purpose.

However I'd argue that actually OpenURL 'succeeded' because it did manage to
get some level of acceptance (ignoring the question of whether it is v0.1 or
v1.0) - the cost of developing 'link resolvers' would have been much higher
if we'd been doing something different for each publisher/platform. In this
sense (I'd argue) sometimes crappy standards are better than none.

We've used OpenURL v1.0 in a recent project and because we were able to
simply pick up code already done for Zotero, and  we already had an OpenURL
resolver, the amount of new code we needed for this was minimal.

I think the point about Link Resolvers doing stuff that Apache and CGI
scripts were already doing is a good one - and I've argued before that what
we actually should do is separate some of this out (a bit like Johnathan did
with Umlaut) into an application that can answer questions about location
(what is generally called the KnowledgeBase in link resolvers) and the
applications that deal with analysing the context and the redirection

(To introduce another tangent in a tangential thread, interestingly (I
think!) I'm having a not dissimilar debate about Linked Data at the moment -
there are many who argue that it is too complex and that as long as you have
a nice RESTful interface you don't need to get bogged down in ontologies and
RDF etc. I'm still struggling with this one - my instinct is that it will
pay to standardise but so far I've not managed to convince even myself this
is more than wishful thinking at the moment)

Owen

--
Owen Stephens
Owen Stephens Consulting