Although part of the problem is that you might want to offer any service on
the basis of an OpenURL the major use case is supply of a document (either
online or via ILL) - so it strikes me you could look at DAIA
http://www.gbv.de/wikis/cls/DAIA_-_Document_Availability_Information_API ?
Jakob does this make sense?

Owen

--