I agree that OpenURL is crappy.

My point was that the "problem case" -- 'identifying' (or describing an
element sufficient for identification, if you like to call it that)
publications that do not have standard identifiers -- is a real one.
OpenURL _does_ solve it.   You _probably_ don't want to ignore this
problem case  in a twitter annotation scenario.  If you can solve it
_better_ than OpenURL, than all the better. Or if you decide
intentionally to exclude it from your scenario, that's fine, you know
your intended domain.

But OpenURL, despite it's crappiness, _does_ address this "problem case"
reasonably effectively, and it is really in use.

I'm certainly not trying to be an OpenURL booster.  But it works, and
until/unless we have something better, is is addressing a problem case
that is really important in many scenarios (like getting users to
licensed full text, naturally).

Jonathan