Hi All,

Though hesitant to jump in here, I agree with Owen that the dead ends
aren't a standards issue. The bloat of the standard is, as is the lack
of a standardized response format, but the dead ends have to do with bad
metadata being coded into open-URLs and with breakdowns in the
connection between content aggregators/providers and knowledge base
maintainers.

Work in this area isn't completely stagnant, though. The joint NISO/UK
Serials Group's "Knowledge Bases And Related Tools working group" is
looking towards solutions to exactly these problems.
http://www.uksg.org/kbart

Their initial report on best practice for content providers and KB
maintainers is worth a look.

-Corey

--
Corey A Harper