We are stuck between two problems, with some people thinking only one of these is/would be a problem, and others not caring at all either way:

* Local conference/meetup planning chatter overwhelms the listserv when it's on the main listserv
* People don't find out about local conferences/meetups they are interested in when local chatter is somewhere else.

My first thought is, gee, this really calls for some kind of threaded "forum" software, where people can subscribe to only the threads they want. But then I remember, a) that kind of software always sucks, and b) there must be a better "web 2.0y" way to do it.

Just as hypothetical brainstorming, what if we did this:

1.  Local code4lib groups are "required" (ie, strongly strongly strongly encouraged, we can't really require anyone to do anything) to, if they have a local listserv at all, have it listserv in some place that:
     a)  Has _publically viewable archives_
     b) Has an RSS-or-Atom feed of those archives, which requires no authentication to subscribe to
[Google groups is one very easy way to get both those things, but certainly not the only one]
2. All those local listservs are listed on a wiki page, which local groups are "required" to add their listserv to.
3. We set up a "planet" aggregator of all those listserv's RSS.

4. Profit!  That is, now:  * People can sign up for an individual listserv they want, if they want. * People can view the up-to-date 'archives' of an individual listserv on the web if they want; * people can view the up-to-date 'archives' of the _aggregated_ C4L Local communication, via the aggregator.    Using one of many free on the web RSS-to-email services, people can sign up for an email subscription for the AGGREGATED C4L Local traffic, getting what some want to get with just one more subscription.

That last part about the RSS-to-email thing is important for our 'requirements', but is the kind of sketchiest.  Potentially better is if we write our OWN RSS-to-email service (maybe that will only allow subscriptions to the C4L Aggregator or one of it's components), which we know will work okay, and which does some clever mail header munging so hitting "reply to all" on an email you get from the aggregator rss-to-email will send your message to the original listserv, so you really can treat your aggregator subscription just like a listserv if you want.

Just brainstorming here.

Jonathan