Quoting Jonathan Rochkind <[log in to unmask]>:

> If specific "rights" were taken out, this kind of makes sense --
> becuase if the (first draft) policy says you CAN transfer your
> original cataloging and non-OCLC records without permission, the
> implication (or was it explicit?) was that you can NOT transfer
> other records without permission. And does anyone really NEED OCLC's
>  permission to transfer records that did not ever touch Worldcat in
> the first place?

No, because those records would presumably not be considered "WorldCat
records." (Although the definition of WorldCat records was also
removed from this version, so it's going to be hard to know if we are
all talking about the same thing.) However, the original cataloging
records most likely are considered WorldCat records. I recall that
some folks objected to this exception on the grounds that someone may
have contributed a minimum record that was then upgraded by a
2nd/3rd/4th library (with considerable effort and expense), yet the
original library (defined as first code in 040 $a) would be able to do
things with the enhanced record that the enhancers could not.

I don't have an opinion one way or the other, but this is an
interesting example of the complexity of the question "whose record is
it?"

kc