Just to clarify, encoding identifiers as URI's, my suggestion, is NOT
"externalizing the information under another URL".   It is just picking
a standard format for identifiers, the identifier format of the web, to
re-use standards and cut down on custom vocabulary. If your 'simplebib'
idea made sense, it could look like:

'simplebib' : {
    identifier:  info:isbn:1234556X
}

or identifier: info:oclcnum:whatever
etc.

Note that "info" URIs not only don't need to be "looked up from another
URL" to "resolve" -- info URIs are actually un-resolvable!   While the
ASIN http URI is (sort of) resolvable, it still doesn't _need_ to be
looked up to resolve. Nothing is externalized.

'simplebib' : {
   identifier:  http://amazon.com/asin/whatever
or whatever.

Likewise for "OpenURL".  Despite the name, OpenURL is, in practice, a
standard vocabulary/encoding for citation details, it is not a method of
'externalizing the information'.    This is an OpenURL context object in
KEV format that identifies a particular book:

rft.title=Manufacturing Consent&rft.au=Noam
Chomsky&rft_id=info:isbn:whatever

Etc.

If you want to make up your own brand new citation format, then of
course that is within your capabilities.  It seems to me that trying to
re-use as much infrastructure that already exists is good.  Even if
that's just re-using URI infrastructure (including info: URIs).
Especially if you expect anyone other than you to 'adopt' this.

Jonathan