Quoting Emily Lynema <[log in to unmask]>:

> Karen,
>
> Is it just Open Library that is excluding serials, or is that the
> entire OCA project?

I think the OCA was focused on monographs but did allow in some
serials, possibly because it wasn't clear what they were (as it can be
with bound or reprinted serials). I have warned the OL folks that
handling serials is quite complex; I think it's a good thing that they
are cutting their "bibliographic teeth" on monographs, which are
complex enough.

> So what is OL's vision for work presentation of multi-volume monographs
> in the future?

I don't think it's fixed in stone, but as your example below shows,
there will probably be use made of the table of contents area for
multi-volume works that have distinct titles or distinct contents.
That information will not always be available. As your example also
shows, the volume numbers may be embedded in the archive.org name for
the item, but I don't know how reliable those are. It doesn't appear
that there is a clear statement of volume number that could be
displayed, e.g. "v. 1 [link] / v. 2 [link]". If that can be derived
from the volume number in the data, then the OL folks are probably
clever enough to pull that off. My fear is that those numbers may not
have been applied consistently during the scanning process (e.g. I
believe that numbers are also used when a work is being scanned that
has already been scanned... and I do mean work, not manifestation,
although it could be either, because of how the names are derived).

kc

> When we load OCA records back into our local ILS, we label the URLs
> with volume numbers; I believe these volume numbers are pulled out of
> the URL to the text itself that OCA gives back to us.
>
> Here's an example of one of these records in our catalog:
> http://www2.lib.ncsu.edu/catalog/record/NCSU2218397
>
> Here's the same record in Open Library:
> http://openlibrary.org/b/OL23299490M/ferns_%28Filicales%29
>
> So hopefully the volume numbers have indeed been retained, even if just
> part of the link to the digitized text. I'd be happy to have landing
> pages like this available in Open Library for multi-volume works
> (including serials, of course), even if the links to each volume aren't
> labeled with the volume number! And, of course, I'd need a reliable way
> to link to these landing pages from external systems (this could maybe
> be accomplished with identifiers if I thought about it a little).
>
> This one record in Open Library is already a success for me, since it
> aggregates 3 individual records on the Internet Archive site (one for
> each digitized volume):
> http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=The%20ferns%20%28Filicales%29%20treated%20comparatively%20with%20a%20view%20to%20their%20natural%20classification%20AND%20mediatype%3Atexts
>
> -emily

> Karen Coyle wrote:
>> Quoting Emily Lynema <[log in to unmask]>:
>>

>>> What seems like would make more sense for us is to link to a Work
>>> record in Open Library or Internet Archive which can then direct users
>>> to all volumes digitized for that Work. I searched this title in Open
>>> Library and found individual results for the various years of the
>>> journal, so it didn't seem like that kind of aggregated record was
>>> being exposed to users at this point.
>>>
>>> See here for an example:
>>> http://openlibrary.org/search?q=polytechnisches+Journal
>>
>> Interesting idea, Emily. In general it makes sense, but a few caveats:
>>
>> 1) Open Library does not *consciously* take in non-monographs. Some
>>  do slip in, but it is intended to be a Books database
>> 2) Multi-volume items are a general problem because they end up
>> looking like duplicate entries (each is represented by the same
>> bibliographic data), and I fear that some may be lost during
>> de-duping. OL has it on its list of "things to fix". Right now, the
>>  record format doesn't have a place to link a digital file to a
>> volume number within a "Manifestation" level record. (And I fear
>> that in some cases the volume numbers may not have been retained in
>>  the metadata. *sigh*)
>>
>> kc
>>

>>> Do you think a Work record page in Open Library that we could link to
>>> from our local systems would be an effective solution to this problem?
> [...]

Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net
ph: 1-510-540-7596
m: 1-510-435-8234