Stuart Yeates wrote:

 > Sadly, yes, I agree with you on this.
 >
 > Do you have any idea how demotivating that is for those of us
 > maintaining collections with works containing characters that don't
 > qualify for inclusion?

May I just add there that Unicode is evolving too and you can help to
get missing characters included. One of the next updates will even
include hundreds of icons such as a slice of pizza, a kissing couple,
and the mount Fuji (See this zipped PDF: http://is.gd/bABl9 and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoji).

I also bet that Unicode will be there in hundred years from now (and
probably URIs) while things like XML and RDF may be little used then.
But I fear that the Unicode may be used in a different way just like
words in natural language change their meanings over the centuries.

And that's why wee need libraries (phew, at least one positive claim
about these institutions we all are bound to ;-)

Jakob

--
Jakob Voß <[log in to unmask]>, skype: nichtich
Platz der Goettinger Sieben 1, 37073 Göttingen, Germany